The extra-curricular is at the core of the life of the Drama Department and allows us to support and enhance the dramatic education on offer. The programme encompasses a full variety of activities that encourage and challenge the large numbers of pupils that regularly participate.
We provide a safe environment in which to develop skills not easily learned in the classroom: physical and vocal self-confidence; the social disciplines of working in a group; imaginative spontaneity through improvisation; an extended emotional range; the power of the pupils’ own creativity and a respect for that of others. All this is achieved through learning to play and to perform. Moreover, we believe that learning the techniques of acting and theatre is simultaneously a source of relaxation and stimulation for the self as a whole. It helps connect us to others, fosters creativity, flexibility, generosity and learning in general, skills that are ever more needed in an adolescent world full of isolating technologies.
The extra-curricular programme includes:
- Major whole school productions which in recent years have included Twelve Angry Men, A Chorus Line, Daisy Pulls it Off and a full-scale pantomime
- Regular whole school events
- LAMDA Acting examinations
- Workshops for scholars
- Theatre trips to the West End and beyond
- A wide variety of school trips including to New York and Krakow
- Drama classes
- Dance classes