The Art Department is a lively, innovative and dynamic environment, where every student is encouraged to develop his or her individuality through the use of a wide range of media.
Students have the opportunity to explore and to gain skills in both contemporary and traditional art-related techniques. The Department believes strongly that the specific skills of drawing and painting can be taught and learned effectively; on this solid foundation more idiosyncratic, wide-ranging and imaginative approaches can be developed. The department offers GCSE courses in both Fine Art and 3-D Design (ceramics), each of which can also be studied to A-level, along with the additional option of A-level Photography.
At GCSE, the Department’s objectives at are:
- To develop pupils’ visual literacy through observing, recording and responding to the richness and variety of objects, artefacts and environments
- To introduce the work of others to inform, inspire and extend thinking in order to encourage the development of pupils’ own ideas
- To develop an awareness of how meaning and feelings can be conveyed and interpreted through images and artefacts
- To introduce pupils to a wide range of materials, processes and techniques through which they can find personal forms of expression
- To encourage and nurture creativity in each pupil, underpinned by a foundation of knowledge and skills
Further details about the particular courses and specifications followed can be found in The Right Course.
The teachers in the Department are all practising artists in their own right, and bring the richness of their experience into the classroom. The Department is justifiably proud of its track record of examination success at all levels. It is proud to show the work of its pupils in the annual exhibition of Art and Technology; visitors to the Department frequently compare favourably the quality of work on display with that offered through high-end galleries.
The recent public exhibition of pupils’ work at The Horsebridge Gallery in Whitstable received much critical acclaim
“The quality and creativity of the work within this exhibition, wholly separate from the age of the artists who made the work, was exceptional and inspiring. The generosity of talent and ideas expressed, the artistry of work within all mediums shown and the beauty of the hang made this a show stopping tour de force for your students and the fine teaching within the art department.” Sarah Banville, The Horsebridge Gallery –
To read the full version of the gallery’s evaluation please click here.
Extracts from the visitors’ book: “Fantastic exhibition, visually stunning.” ” The exhibition has a real energy. A very high standard.” “Amazing, beautiful, provocative”