Art, Ceramics & Photography
The Art Department is a lively, innovative and dynamic environment, where every student is encouraged to develop his or her individuality through the use of a wide range of media.
Three specialisms are offered as single-subject A-levels in their own right. Courses may be taken singly; particularly creative and talented pupils may choose to study two or, in some cases, all three of the disciplines of Fine Art, 3-D Design or Art (Photography). In all cases, teaching is offered by practising specialists in well-resourced accommodation.
The department boasts a long track record of exceptionally strong A-level results, and is proud to showcase pupils’ work in the end of year exhibition that annually attracts visits from pupils, parents and other interested visitors. Pupils frequently progress to study in colleges of Art and Design. A painting by a recent pupil reached the final 20 of the international student Art competition sponsored by the Saatchi Trust, an outstanding achievement and a fine testament to the quality of guidance offered within the department.
At A-level, departmental objectives are:
- To record with increasing skill and fluency, observations, experiences and ideas, using new and traditional media, materials and techniques
- To use knowledge and understanding of the work of others to extend thinking and to inform pupils’ own work, making clear the connections where appropriate
- To generate and explore independent ideas and use appropriate media, techniques and materials to develop, review, refine and realise intentions
- To apply knowledge, skills and understanding to create images and artefacts, evaluating work as it progresses
- To develop strong learning and creative thinking skills alongside independent forms of expression
The recent public exhibition of pupils’ work at The Horsebridge Gallery in Whitstable received much critical acclaim
“The quality and creativity of the work within this exhibition, wholly separate from the age of the artists who made the work, was exceptional and inspiring. The generosity of talent and ideas expressed, the artistry of work within all mediums shown and the beauty of the hang made this a show stopping tour de force for your students and the fine teaching within the art department.” Sarah Banville, The Horsebridge Gallery
To read the full version of the gallery’s evaluation please click here.
Extracts from the visitors’ book: “Fantastic exhibition, visually stunning.” ” The exhibition has a real energy. A very high standard.” “Amazing, beautiful, provocative”
Gallery – A-level Art
Gallery – A-level Ceramics
Gallery – A-level Photography