Junior School sports round-up w/c 1 October 2018

It’s been another fine week for the Year 7 and 8 Girls Hockey teams with 3 undefeated fixtures against the strong opposition of King’s Rochester. Both the B and C teams had comfortable wins but the A team had a hard fought 2-2 draw after being 2-0 down at half time. So after 4 matches they remain unbeaten!

The boys teams were out of league action this week but the Under 13B and C played Bethany School in our annual fixture with the B team winning 13-2, the C team unfortunately losing 3-1.

Our U13A team travelled to Junior King’s School for the 6 aside Shapira Cup and Under 11A played in the Spring Grove Tournament. Both teams played well but there was no ‘silverware’ for the trophy cabinet this week.

The U9 boys team played their first school away fixture at Northbourne Park on Friday, results and a team shot to follow shortly.

Next week we continue our comprehensive match programme on Wednesday and also take part in our first Cross Country meeting of the season at Tonbidge with teams from year 7 and 8 competing.

U11 Girls Hockey v Lorendon
Report by Elizabeth Scholer, Junior School Sports Journalist,  Form 6

2018_js_sport_U11 hockeyOn Wednesday 3rd October St Edmund’s under 11 girls hockey team, took on Lorendon Prep School for their first home match of the season. At 2 o’clock everyone was in their positions and ready to play. In the A team we had Jessica in goal, Stella and Jodi in defence, Bea in midfield and Elizabeth, Amber, Ami and Robyn as forwards. St Ed’s lost the toss up and Lorendon had first push-back. Things didn’t go well at first for us however we got a couple of short corners but did not manage to score. Lorendon persisted and by half time had 3 goals to St Edmund’s 0.

After a short break and coaching from Mrs McCabe the team got back on the field. Having learnt things from the first half the team looked a lot stronger than before and their tackling and defending was a lot better. After around 6 or 7 goes at goal we finally got a goal in 20 seconds before the end so that was the final result 3-1. Afterwards our captain Bea said “I know we tried our hardest and gave our all and that we will learn from this game!”