Senior School Match Reports w/c 3 December 2018

The sporting week began with a trip to the Copper Box Arena at the Olympic Park to watch England v Uganda Netball. Mrs Millard and Mrs Lea took a keen group of netballers to watch this very dynamic and fast paced match. Live international sport is incredibly impressive and we came away thoroughly inspired for next term’s netball season.

This was the last week for competitive fixtures against other schools. There were hard fought hockey matches against Kent College and St Lawrence College and an U15 boys’ football match against St. Bede’s in East Sussex. This was the next round in the Schools Cup and the team were delighted to come away with a 2-0 victory. Congratulations to this team for a very successful term.

We look forward to house matches next week and then a well- earned rest over Christmas.

Mrs Millard, Head of Senior School Sport

Boys Football Report: U15 v St Bede’s School – 4th December

After a long journey down to rural East Sussex, the U15 football team began this important match surprisingly well against the St Bede’s School U15 B team, having had little time to prepare due to light.

St Edmund’s passed the ball well from the keeper and created space using the three players in the centre of midfield very effectively. St Edmund’s were the better team for the majority of the first half but could not convert the chances that they created. At half time the score remained 0-0.

St Bede’s had a ‘purple patch’ as soon as play resumed, creating chances and putting the St Edmund’s defence, led brilliantly by Oscar Hird, under lots of pressure. Finally the play levelled once again on 50 minutes and the game became ‘end to end’.

It would need a moment of individual skill to create the first goal and this came from Callum Austin who dribbled past two defenders and calmly placed the ball into the far corner of the goal. As the light started to fade and the game drew to a close, St Bede’s had one last push to change the outcome. It very nearly happened with only the crossbar saving St Edmund’s. With 5 minutes to go Callum Austin scored his second, a header from one of our many corners, and the game was secure.

A very good team effort from a team who have now won three games in a row.

Final Score 2-0.